John F. Heveron, Jr., CPA
John is President of Heveron & Company CPAs. He has been serving not-for-profit organizations, small businesses and individuals since 1969 with organizational planning, financial planning, tax planning, design of internal controls and efficiency improvements.
Specific services include:
- Assistance with and training on proper internal controls, budget development, retirement plan matters, and accounting systems.
- Business planning, tax planning, and audit planning.
- Review of financial statements and tax returns.
- Consulting regarding the tax aspects and accounting requirements for related organizations.
- Consulting regarding nonprofit matters such as contribution recording, cost allocation, and financial reporting.
- Consulting with clients regarding business transition.
John keeps his technical skills sharp through continuous reading, research, writing and training. He has authored our firm's quarterly newsletter for more than 20 years.
John has been a presenter for the Foundation for Accounting Education, the United Way of Greater Rochester, The Ad Council, The National Center for Independent Living and others.
John is a past president of the Rochester Chapter of the New York State Society of CPAs and was inducted into their CPA Hall of Fame in October 2004. He served on the board of the NYS Foundation for Accounting Education, and currently serves on the St. John Fisher College Accounting Advisory Board and the United Way of Rochester Community Investment Committee. He is co-treasurer for the Rochester Rotary Charitable Trust.
John graduated from St. John Fisher College in 1969, and was subsequently recognized as an outstanding accounting alumnus.
John says, "After nearly 45 years I am still enthused and excited by the opportunity to help clients achieve their objectives and avoid pitfalls."
Michael D. Desmond, CPA
Mike is Vice-President of Heveron & Company CPAs and is a Certified Public Accountant. He directs the taxation, affordable housing, real estate, and computerized accounting systems areas for the firm.
He is the president of the Rochester Chapter of the New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants and a graduate of St. John Fisher College.
Specific services to our clients include:
- Supervision and planning of financial and compliance audits, including those with OMB A-133, HUD, US Rural Development, New York State Division of Housing and Community Renewal, Yellow Book and State compliance requirements.
- Taxation consulting, planning, preparation and review for individuals and businesses.
- Cost certifications for HUD, US Rural Development and low-income housing projects.
- Affordable housing project planning, project evaluation, tax credit research, and tax preparation.
- ERISA Engagements
- Assistance with the selection and implementation of computerized accounting systems.
Michael has continuously met education requirements of the AICPA, the New York State Society of CPAs and Governmental Auditing Standards.
Stephanie Annunziata, CPA
Stephanie is a Vice President of Heveron and Company CPAs and is a Certified Public Accountant. She is a 1993 graduate of Nazareth College of Rochester. She has been serving not-for-profit organizations since 1994, managing and reviewing audits, compliance audits and other audit and consulting services. Prior to that, she performed accounting for a property management company.
Her activities also include:
- Supervision and planning of financial and compliance audits of not-for-profits, including those with OMB A-133, HUD, Yellow Book and State, affordable housing and other compliance requirements.
- Review of annual not-for-profit filings with the IRS and New York State.
- Preparation and review of personal income tax returns.
- Involvement in a variety of continuing education programs as a developer, presenter and participant for the firm members and the nonprofit community.
- Development of work programs for risk assessment, compliance auditing and financial statement preparation.
She has continuously met education requirements of the AICPA, the New York State Society of CPAs and Governmental Auditing Standards.
Stephanie is currently a member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, the New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants and the Rochester Womens Network. She currently serves on the not-for-profit committee and is the former Media Representative and Director of Public Relations for the Rochester Chapter of the New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants. She is a currently the chair-elect for the Coalition to Prevent Lead Poisoning, and a former finance committee member for the United Way Services Corporation.
When asked about her career Stephanie says, "I have been helping nonprofit organizations every day for over
20 years. Nonprofit organizations touch
so many lives and there is nothing I would rather be doing than helping them and
nowhere else I would rather be doing it."
Brenda Smith, CPA, CIA
Brenda is a Vice President of Heveron & Company CPAs, and is a Certified Public Accountant and a Certified Internal Auditor. She is a 1996 graduate of the State University of New York at Geneseo. and has been serving not-for-profit organizations since 1999. Her experience prior to joining our firm included three years of accounting for a petroleum company.
Her activities include:
- Supervision and planning of financial and compliance audits of not-for-profits and affordable housing organizations.
- Review of annual not-for-profit filings with the IRS and New York State.
- Involvement in a variety of continuing education programs as a developer, presenter and participant for the firm. Brenda has also developed and presented seminars for the New York State Society of CPAs, the Monroe County Bar Association, the Arts and Cultural Council, and the Advertising Council.
- We are qualified by the New York State division of professional licensing to provide continuing education. Brenda tracks our compliance with requirements for our professional license and for individual continuing education.
- Manages our internal quality review process.
Brenda is currently a member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, the New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants, and the Institute of Internal Auditors. She has continuously met the education requirements of each of these associations, as well as Governmental Auditing Standards. Brenda is also a member of the Rochester Women's Network and she oversees our United Way campaign, which consistently meets or exceeds its goals.
When Brenda is asked why she has remained in public accounting, she replies, "Heveron & Company has felt like home for me from the start. This is what I am meant to do. Working so closely with our nonprofit and affordable housing organizations makes me feel like I am helping the Rochester community in the best way I can."
Joe La Manna, CPA
In March 2010 Joe La Manna joined Heveron & Company CPAs. Joe has a strong background and solid reputation in all areas of tax. He has a long history of service to numerous medical professionals, and small businesses primarily in the construction, real estate and manufacturing industries.
In July 2013 George Murphy joined Heveron & Company CPAs. George has a strong background in individual tax preparation. He comes to Heveron & Company with over 40 years of experience.